- 18 June 2014
The BIUST University Council is responsible for the management and administration of the revenue and property of the University. The Council has general control over the University and its affairs, purposes and functions and such other powers and duties as may be conferred by the Statutes of the University. The Council was established in terms of the provision of Section 9 of the BIUST Act responsible for providing strategic policy direction to the University and necessary support to Management to carry out the day to day operations.
The BIUST Council is appointed by the Honourable Minister of Education and Skills Development. It ideally should consist of 14 members drawn from both local and international public and private sectors. The Chairperson shall perform as maybe conferred on him/her by the Statutes enacted by the University Council. The current Chairperson of the BIUST Council is Mr Bernard Bolele. The Vice Chairperson, who shall act as Chairperson in the absence of the Chairperson, is elected at the first meeting amongst members of Council that are not employees or students of the University.
Members of Council shall hold office for a period of three (3) years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for a further term three (3) years as per Section 11(1), 2 and 3 of the BIUST Act. The University Council subject to the provisions of the Act and Statutes of the University shall be responsible for the management and administration of the revenue and property of the University and shall have general control over the University and its affairs, purposes, and functions and other duties that may be conferred upon it by the Statutes of the University.
It consists of the following members:
• Principal officers of the University (Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellors);
• Three (3) public officers appointed by the Minister;
• Seven (7) persons two (2) of whom shall have a science and technology background
representing the private sector and two representing civil society appointed by the
Chancellor on the recommendation of the University Council;
• Three (3) persons who are not resident in Botswana appointed by the Minister by
reason of their investment in the University or special knowledge/competence in
relevant fields of tertiary education;
• Three (3) persons elected by Senate (2 Professors and 1 Dean);
• One (1) person elected by former students of the University;
• One (1) member of support staff elected by support staff;
• One (1) member of the academic staff who is not in Senate elected by academic staff;
• One (1) student elected by the student body of the University.
The Council shall hold at least 3 ordinary meetings in a year.