- 26 June 2014
To be a World Class Centre for Research, Education and Innovation in the Sciences.
To provide globally competitive and high quality academic programmes in science, to produce employable graduates through excellence in teaching and research, to undertake national and international research in priority fields including through collaborative partnerships and industry linkages, and to promote the application of science for the benefit of society
- Teaching and knowledge transfer
- Teaching basic sciences to underpin all science, engineering and technology programmes
- Teaching undergraduate programmes relevant to national and regional needs
- Teaching postgraduate programmes relevant to national, regional and international needs
- Inward knowledge transfer through inter alia, industrial advisory boards and international scholar exchange programmes.
Research and knowledge creation
- Research in the major science disciplines
- National and international Centres of Competence in research clusters which are multidisciplinary and focused on strategic research priorities
- Collaborative partnerships and industry linkages
- Applied research for external clients including industry and government.
- Application of science for the benefit of society
- Providing expert advice and work through consultancy, membership of national and regional committees, engagement with industry, government, communities, and academic bodies
- Technology transfer from research via incubator facilities
- Partnerships in specific projects for strategic goals with external agencies at national, regional and international levels
- Community engagement through academic endeavours which are responsive to local community needs.
The College will:
- Benchmark itself to international standards of scientific practice and critical thinking such that it produces world-class science;
- Actively encourage and respect the right of all scholars, staff and students to engage in critical inquiry, independent research, intellectual discourse and public debate in a spirit of responsibility and accountability, in accordance with the principles of academic freedom
- Promote access to learning that will expand educational and employment opportunities for all
- Embrace its responsibility to support and contribute to national and regional development, through the generation and dissemination of knowledge, the production of socially-responsible graduates and the application of science for the benefit of society
- Conduct itself according to the highest ethical standards, and provide education that promotes an awareness of sound ethical practice and academic integrity.
- Foster a culture of responsible, ethical and sustainable use of natural resources
- Ensure effective governance through broad and inclusive participation, representation, accountability, and transparency that serves as an example of true collegiality
- Acknowledge the value of the individual by promoting the intellectual, social and personal well-being of staff and students through tolerance and respect and by fostering the realisation of each person’s full potential;
- Aspire to the highest quality in all its endeavours