Engineering and Technology forms the backbone of any economy and generally deal with the design, implementation, operation, and maintenance of public, industrial, commercial, and consumer products, systems and infrastructure. The College of Engineering and Technology (CET) at BIUST is poised to be a model in engineering education by offering high quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and research facilities to train aspiring students to become professionals in their respective fields. The philosophy of the College is premised on the fact that in today’s knowledge-economy, problem solving employs a multi-disciplinary ICT-driven approach with professionals and scientists from different disciplines seamlessly connecting and collaborating so as to bring their different knowledge and skills to bear in providing meaningful solutions to societal problems. The programmes and other services delivered by the College use international standards and benchmarks but the application of knowledge will be locally relevant and appropriate to the immediate communities.
Engineering graduates from BIUST will possess attributes that will make them find employment in public sector, private organizations or be able to create employment through innovative and entrepreneurial skills and competencies acquired during their education. They will be aware of their social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities and be committed to sustainable development of their communities, logic and critical thinking, lifelong learning, professional and ethical issues. These graduates will be robust, highly skilled, ICT compliant, able to communicate effectively, ready to function in teams in a changing, borderless and highly technological world. These graduates’ attributes will be developed and assessed through blended mode of instruction, case studies and problem-based, project-oriented exercises and experiential learning.
The College will organize short courses, workshops and other programmes, including international conferences e.g. on telecommunications, mining facilities, renewable energy, manufacturing, engineering education, water & waste water, advanced coal technologies and maintenance of engineering facilities, workshops/seminars on servicing and utilities provision in buildings and large-scale infrastructures. The College will seek opportunities to collaborate and co-host some of the events with international partners and local organizations.
The current compliment of academic, technical and support staff in the College will continue to grow as the student enrolment increases and other scholarly activities flourish.
Vision, Mission and Values
- To be a world-class centre of excellence for engineering and technology education and research seamlessly integrating research and education to produce highly skilled professionals.
- To position Botswana as a knowledge hub by enhancing socioeconomic growth through engineering and technology innovations.
- To provide globally-competitive and high-quality education, based on a theoretical, experimental, and ethical foundation, and enhanced by opportunities for participation in research, industrial internships, and interdisciplinary studies thus producing entrepreneurial and employment-ready graduates with globally-relevant skills
- To establish and continually evolve interdisciplinary, collaborative research and development capability in relation to the major technological drivers for economic growth.
- To educate students to be innovators, with capability to grow technology and related enterprises in Botswana and the world.
- To continually consult relevant stakeholders in industry and government thus ensuring teaching and research activities address economically useful developmental problems.
- To establish international centres of excellence in Energy Research, Information & Communications Technologies Innovation, Mining & Geological Engineering Research, Manufacturing, Petrochemicals, Engineering Education, and Transportation Engineering Research
- Academic Excellence
- Collaboration and Linkages
- Innovation and Creativity
- Sustainable Environment
- Industry-driven Applied Research
What to Know
- Admission into First Year
- Admission Into Other Years
- Curriculum Design
- Semester System
- Credit System
- Undergraduate Degree Requirements
- Industrial Training
- Graduation Requirements
- Definition of Terms
- General Regulations
- College Regulations
- Departments, Programmes and Regulations
Welcome to the College of Engineering & Technology (CET) of the Botswana International University of Science & Technology (BIUST). Engineering and technology engender socio-economic development and the advancement of humankind. Engineers are needed more than ever to deal with today’s challenges in energy and the environment, raw materials, public infrastructure, and advanced technology, among many others. At CET effort is focused on preparing engineering students to face the challenges and make the world a better place with smart, sustainable solutions that are devised and implemented with knowledge, ethics, passion and compassion. The goal is to educate students to be leaders in the development and use of multidisciplinary approaches and technology to solve complex, socially critical problems. We are committed to excellence in technology-focused education with emphasis on the entrepreneurial and ethical practice of engineering. The commissioning of our new Engineering Building with spacious classrooms, laboratories and workshops this year has provided added impetus to pursue the vision of the College with more vigour.
With our crop of experienced and internationally renown faculty we offer an academically enriching, diverse, and welcoming environment designed for our students to thrive and build life and professional skills needed to be successful citizens and leaders in a global community. The College offers academic programmes that lead to Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral degrees in many engineering and technology disciplines. The CET academic programmes are unique and specially selected for their potential to positively impact the socio-economic development of Botswana, the region, and Africa. Emphasis on collaboration, use of industrial advisory boards, and the quest for new knowledge help ensure both the relevance and the marketability of our academic and research programmes. Distinguishing characteristics of our programmes include the following:
- Career-focused curricula grounded in theory and enhanced through application,
- Research aimed at making meaningful contributions in area of study,
- Industrial internships, and
- A variety of international experiences including study abroad.
These characteristics are embodied in the programmes offered in CET’s six academic departments – Chemical & Petroleum Engineering (CHPE); Civil & Environmental Engineering (CIEE); Electrical, Electronic & Telecommunications Engineering (EETE); Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering (INME); Mechanical & Energy Engineering (MEEE); and Mining & Geological Engineering (MIGE); plus the Department of Materials & Metallurgical Engineering (MAME) to be introduced soon.
Grounded in our commitment to engineering education innovation and interdisciplinary research, we offer our students a rich educational experience, an experience that combines intellectual rigor and cross-disciplinary breadth in an intimate, student-centred environment. Research is an integral part of this experience. The CET research enterprise ranges from fundamental engineering science research to the development of new technologies with application to current industry and markets. Research is conducted by engineering students at all levels (Bachelor, Masters, and Doctoral) in a problem-based learning context. While the discovery and creation of new technology are the essence of the doctoral programmes in engineering, in general, our undergraduate and graduate programmes in engineering are geared to meet the needs of industry and society.
I hope you join us. We'll do everything we can to ensure that your time at BIUST is a success and that your future as an innovative and creative professional engineer becomes a reality. I look forward to seeing you here!
Prof James Katende, PhD, FNSE
Dean - College of Engineering & Technology