- 24 July 2014
BIUST endeavors to impact directly on the lives of the people of Botswana through interaction and interface at the level of the people. Through District Extension and Regional Technical Support Centres, BIUST’s impact reverberates nationally and is unlimited by geographical placement thus forestalling the ‘Ivory Tower’ phenomenon. The Extension and Regional Technical Support Centres are depositories for district technical problems and solutions dissemination points for the university (technical solutions centres). The centres are aimed at directly contributing to the socio-economic development of all districts in Botswana and are interfaces through which the university, using its expert pool:
- Provides a Platform for Utility of BIUST ‘s Technical Expertise through;
- Relevant academic programme offerings to district communities as dictated by specific milieus.
- Consultancies and researches in matters of mutual interest to the university and communities.
- Continuing education and lifelong learning programmes to locals and industry employees leading to full degrees or whatever levels as demanded by the environments.
- Locally directed interventions /community outreach endeavours such as ‘student role-modeling and mentoring to disadvantaged children in communities.
- Support to small and medium enterprises through training and workshops for instance in entrepreneurship and in any emerging areas of need lying within the BIUST’s sphere of expertise.