- 14 August 2014
Brand Marketing and Promotion
- Advises the Vice Chancellor on marketing strategies and public relations issues and recommends the adoption of relevant policies to Public Relations Policy and Strategy to promote the image of the University
- Initiates research on BIUST’s image and public perception of the institution and prepares appropriate strategies to change image where necessary.
- Prepares Annual PR activities and budgets for public relations services and manages expenditure against approved budget.
- Coordinates the development of the Annual University Report.
- Advises on development of appropriate institutional image and develops corporate image for the University which reflects the institutions mission and objects and ensures the corporate image is adopted by all facilities and schools at BIUST.
Media Relations Management
- Liaises with the media and implement an appropriate media relations strategy.
- Develops news releases on a regular basis in order to keep the public informed about University activities and support the mission of BIUST.
- Drafts press releases, speeches and statements for Vice Chancellor and senior management staff.
- Provides professional and technical assistance for the preparation of BIUST handbooks, calendar and other publications and journals as well as electronic media, in accordance with University – wide
- Communication policies, system tools and standards (Including relevant standard presentation and formatting styles).
- Provides leadership to the development and maintenance of the University website, ensuring the BIUST homepage reflects the University’s brand and is an up-to-date source of news and information.
- Responds to media enquiries and acts as BIUST’s chief spokesperson as directed by the Vice Chancellor.
Stakeholder Relations Management
- Advises, liaises and consults with departments and faculties on marketing and public relations matters and provides professional and technical assistance.
- Advises on internal communication strategies and promotion of university community and identity among students and staff.
- Identification of strategic partners and facilitation of signing of Memoranda of Understanding for long-term collaboration.
Community Engagement and Outreach
- Develops and implements the University’s Corporate Social Investment(CSI) Policy and Strategy
- Coordinates the University’s school adoption and support programme
- Identifies special needs within the host community and determines the type of assistance the University may render, especially among the youth population.
- Collaborates with the Local and Tribal Authorities to address issues that affect the welfare of the community.
- Facilitates the creation of job opportunities for members of the host community by ensuring that all companies awarded service and construction projects employ members of the community.
- Actively engage and involve local youth in construction projects as an empowerment initiative.
- Coordinates and organises ceremonial functions, VIP tours and arranges open days, promotional visits, etc
Some of the major events successfully coordinated by the Directorate include:
• The Investor Conference in 2008
• Groundbreaking Ceremony marking the construction of the Founding Development of the University in 2009
• The launching of the BIUST Brand in 2009
• Inauguration of the Founding Chancellor of the University in 2012
• Africa Science, Technology and Entrepreneurship support Systems Workshop in 2013
• Several Media and Stakeholder Briefings since 2009 to-date
• Hosting of international delegations from overseas